Agnipath : The centre today raised the age limit for the ‘Agnipath’ conscription scheme from 21 to 23, amid nationwide protests over the new recruiting model. Agnipath The government said in a release that the decision was made because there had been no recruitment for the past two years.
“Given that recruitment has not been possible for the past two years, the government has decided to waive the proposed recruitment cycle for 2022 on a one-off basis,” the government said.
The upper age limit for the recruitment process under the Agnipath scheme in 2022 has been raised to 23, the statement said.
On Tuesday, the government announced Recruitment reform For India’s 1.38 million strong armed forces, they want to lower the average age of personnel and reduce pension payments. The protests have spread to 10 states including Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jharkhand and Delhi.
The new system has ensured that men and women between the ages of 17 and a half to 21 are introduced to four-year terms, with only a quarter serving longer terms.
The BJP has come under fire, with hundreds of potential recruits protesting the shortened term.
The government has launched an awareness campaign. In a series of tweets, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting released facts related to the Agnipath program in the public domain. Government sources also shared a detailed document called “Myths and Facts” aimed at “dispelling misunderstandings”.
The government also defended the program on 10 points and assured recruits that they would not be in trouble after completing four years of military service.